Brian Blanchfield is the author of three books of prose and poetry, including, most recently, Proxies: Essays Near Knowing, published in 2016 by Nightboat Books and in 2017 by Picador UK. Part cultural studies, part dicey autobiography, the book received a 2016 Whiting Award in Nonfiction and is a finalist for the Lambda Literary Award for Best Gay Memoir/Biography. His full-length collections of poetry are Not Even Then (University of California Press, 2004) and A Several World (Nightboat Books), which received the Academy of American Poet’s 2014 James Laughlin Award and was a long-list finalist for the 2014 National Book Award. His honors also include a Howard Foundation Fellowship.
His literary essays and poetry have appeared in many publications, including Harper’s Magazine, The Nation, Oxford American, The Paris Review, Lana Turner, StoryQuarterly, Brick, The Brooklyn Rail, Conjunctions, Guernica, A Public Space, and Chicago Review.
He has taught creative writing and literature at The Iowa Writers’ Workshop, The University of Montana, Pratt Institute, Otis College of Art and Design, and The University of Arizona in Tucson, where he was also host of Speedway and Swan, a poetry-and-music program on KXCI Community Radio. Before and between teaching fulltime, he worked in book and magazine publishing, including editorial posts at Farrar, Straus and Giroux and Fence. He is Assistant Professor of Creative Writing at The University of Idaho.
- The Speculative Essay, Panelist, AWP 2017
- Art and Life: Casual Conversation with Innovative and Emerging Writers, Columbia University 2016
- Whiting Award Winners in The Essay, Panelist, Decatur Book Festival 2016
- Don't Call it Lyric: Inquiry, The Essay, and Independence, Panelist, & Now Conference 2015
- Freely Espousing, or Subject to the Avant-Garde, University of Arizona Poetry Center 2015
- Poetry in Multiples, Poetry in Sequences: A Generative Poetic Writing Workshop, 3-day Master Class, Pima County Community College 2015
- Trade Houses, Indie Presses, E-Chaps, and the Future of Poetry Publishing, San Diego State University 2014
- A Closer Look, University of Arizona Poetry Center 2013
- Hybrid Writing: Crossing Prose with Poetry, University of Arizona Poetry Center 2013
- The Queer Heart, & Now Conference 2013
- Writing Masculinities, AWP 2013
- Fence, Literary Community, and the History and Future of the Little Magazine, Depaul University Writing and Publishing Program 2012
- Staging Ground: Prospect, Mapping, and Tabulation in Contemporary American Poetry, Hobart and William Smith Colleges 2011
- From A to B and Back Again, University of Montana 2010
- Telling Tales out of School: The Workshop Experience, Panelist, Montana Festival of the Book 2010
- The Prospect Poem and Google Earth: Aerial View and Vantage in Romantic and Contemporary Poetic Composition, Liberal Arts Research Colloquium (LARC Talk Series) 2009
- Poetry, Place, and the West, Panelist, & Now Festival of Experimental Literature 2008
- Abstraction and What to Do with It, Bread Loaf Writers Conference 2005
education and training
awards and honors
- Brian Blanchfield